Latest Stories on JFP.MS
- Governor Will Join Multi-State Transgender Bathroom Lawsuit Even If State Won'tAttorney General Jim Hood said he will not add the State of Mississippi to the Texas lawsuit against the federal government over President Barack Obama's directive to public schools, telling them to allow transgender students to use bathrooms that match ...
- More City Transparency: Council Posts Agenda Packets Online, FinallyIn a step toward compliance with state law, and the latest in a series of steps to generate transparency in local government, the Jackson City Council posted its agenda packet for next week's meeting online: a first for the Jackson ...
- Willie Wazir PeacockOn Saturday, May 28, Veterans of the Mississippi Civil Rights Movement will pay tribute to Willie Wazir Peacock, a civil-rights veteran who died at the Creekside Health Care Center in San Pablo, Calif., on April 17, 2016.
- AG Hood: Mississippi Will Not Join Transgender Bathrooms LawsuitAttorney General Jim Hood issued the following statement today regarding the lawsuit by Texas and 10 other states.
- Stokes to Circulate Police-chase Petition in Response to DOJ LetterDuring a community meeting at Cornerstone Baptist Church Wednesday night, Ward 3 Councilman Kenneth Stokes and citizens decided to circulate a petition in response to a letter from the U.S. Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division about suburban police departments' ...
Latest Wire Stories
- Mississippi Attorney: Don't Block Religious Objections Law Mississippi government attorneys are opposing two legal challenges to a new state law that will let circuit clerks cite religious objections to recuse themselves from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.
- Sentencing Delayed in Bribery Case Tied to Ex-Prison Chief Sentencing has been delayed for a consultant who pleaded guilty to bribing the former head of Mississippi's prison system.
- Mississippi Gov Intends to Join Transgender Bathroom Lawsuit Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant says he intends to join 11 states in suing the Obama administration for telling U.S. public schools to let transgender students use bathrooms and locker rooms that match their gender identity.
- Trump Reaches the Magic Number to Clinch Nomination Donald Trump on Thursday reached the number of delegates needed to clinch the Republican nomination for president, completing an unlikely rise that has upended the political landscape and sets the stage for a bitter fall campaign.
- Democrats Want Special Session to Change Mississippi BudgetDemocrats are renewing their demand for Republican Gov. Phil Bryant to call a special session so lawmakers can change parts of Mississippi's $6.3 billion spending plan before the new budget year begins July 1.
- May 26, 2016 - Thursday
- May 27, 2016 - Friday
- May 28, 2016 - Saturday
- May 29, 2016 - Sunday
- May 30, 2016 - Monday
- May 31, 2016 - Tuesday
- June 1, 2016 - Wednesday