- Still Fighting at Home: Transgender Veterans Caught in the FluxSome top-down changes coming soon to the VA could help alleviate inadvertent or purposeful discrimination against LGBT veterans. Due to a recent change, all VA medical centers now have the ability for the first time to change a part of ...
- Guys We LoveIt's almost Father's Day, which means that it's time to celebrate the men we love, and we're not just talking about fathers.
- Eat Healthier, Shop LocalBusinesses such as Sweet & Sauer, which specializes in fermented foods, give Jacksonians healthier food choices.
- Have a Healthy SnackAs a family physician who treats chronic conditions such as hypertension and diabetes, I encourage my patients to make positive lifestyle choices to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Running a 5K in Your ShoesRaces are a thing in Jackson; here's a list of the 5Ks and other races coming up.
- Beware of Food AllergiesThe Food Allergy Research and Education's website, foodallergy.org, says that every day, 15 million Americans with food allergies face difficult challenges in avoiding their allergens and preventing a life-threatening reaction, which is called anaphylaxis.
- Slow and SteadyIdeally, maintaining a healthy diet and exercise program is a lifestyle decision that we should maintain year-round. But those who don't participate in a year-round healthy lifestyle must remember that weight loss is a marathon and not a sprint.
- The Candidates for Jackson Mayor: Vote June 6, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.Jackson doesn't have a mayor, yet, despite Chokwe Antar Lumumba's impressive Democratic primary victory in an overwhelmingly Democratic city. He still must defeat several other candidates on June 6.
- The ‘Good Samaritan’ Pizza Guy Runs for MayorKenneth Swarts pulls out his big, white binder that he calls his "playbook" and begins to show off his vibrant campaign signs. He crafted the small signs from leftover Pizza Hut brownie boxes and his laminating machine, similar to the ...
- Brighten Your Backyard on a BudgetIt's easy to feel the start of the season when you have a colorful outdoor space for entertaining and relaxing.
- Spirits of SummerSummer is a time for relaxing and having fun with friends and family. These cocktails are perfect additions to the party. It's time to take a deep breath and enjoy the long, anticipated summer days.
- Crustacean for All OccasionsNothing says summer in Mississippi like seafood, but there are plenty of options for getting your shrimp and crab fix without a hefty price tag. Here are a few simple yet tasty recipes to try out this season.
- Picnicking for ‘Jubilee’Margaret Walker Center Director Robert Luckett says that it is remarkable that author and poet Margaret Walker, who was an African American woman, chose to live her life in Jackson, a place that treated people of color and women much ...
- Elvis Has Entered the BuildingThe Tony Award-winning musical "Million Dollar Quartet" comes to New Stage Theatre on May 30 to present a piece of rock history.
- On the Road AgainSummer is the ideal time to hit the road and explore little-known spots in our fascinating state. Here are a few places that make for great and quick road trips. All of these are two hours or less from Jackson.