- 2017 Chicks We LoveThis year's Chicks We Love help our communities in many ways, from giving a smile to every patient at a local women's clinic, to making people laugh with comedy, to playing music and advocating for the metro area's LGBT community, ...
- Minding the Equity Gap: How Majority-Black Clinton District Earns Its ‘A’ RatingThe October 2016 release of Mississippi's accountability ratings for each public-school district reveals wide racial disparities.
- This Little Light of Ours: Mississippi Civil Rights Museum Shines a Light on HistoryThe Mississippi Civil Rights Museum opened its doors temporarily on Tuesday, June 27, for a preview of the impactful, honest and focused features, like the Freedom Riders exhibit.
- Beer Tasting 2017: Mississippi v. TennesseeOver the last few years, craft beer has becoming a rising trend. Breweries are popping up all over, and southern states haven't been lost on the trend. Instead of doing a regular beer tasting, the Jackson Free Press staffers decided ...
- Red, White and Local CelebrationsCelebrate the Fourth of July holiday locally this year.
- Tapping a New Part of the Craft-Beer MarketAt Lucky Town Brewing Company, the sounds of loud music and construction consume the space. Barrels sit along the wall, and large mash tuns sit in a line across from each other. Despite the construction, the aroma of beer is ...
- Still Fighting at Home: Transgender Veterans Caught in the FluxSome top-down changes coming soon to the VA could help alleviate inadvertent or purposeful discrimination against LGBT veterans. Due to a recent change, all VA medical centers now have the ability for the first time to change a part of ...
- Guys We LoveIt's almost Father's Day, which means that it's time to celebrate the men we love, and we're not just talking about fathers.
- Eat Healthier, Shop LocalBusinesses such as Sweet & Sauer, which specializes in fermented foods, give Jacksonians healthier food choices.
- Have a Healthy SnackAs a family physician who treats chronic conditions such as hypertension and diabetes, I encourage my patients to make positive lifestyle choices to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Running a 5K in Your ShoesRaces are a thing in Jackson; here's a list of the 5Ks and other races coming up.
- Beware of Food AllergiesThe Food Allergy Research and Education's website, foodallergy.org, says that every day, 15 million Americans with food allergies face difficult challenges in avoiding their allergens and preventing a life-threatening reaction, which is called anaphylaxis.
- Slow and SteadyIdeally, maintaining a healthy diet and exercise program is a lifestyle decision that we should maintain year-round. But those who don't participate in a year-round healthy lifestyle must remember that weight loss is a marathon and not a sprint.
- The Candidates for Jackson Mayor: Vote June 6, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.Jackson doesn't have a mayor, yet, despite Chokwe Antar Lumumba's impressive Democratic primary victory in an overwhelmingly Democratic city. He still must defeat several other candidates on June 6.
- The ‘Good Samaritan’ Pizza Guy Runs for MayorKenneth Swarts pulls out his big, white binder that he calls his "playbook" and begins to show off his vibrant campaign signs. He crafted the small signs from leftover Pizza Hut brownie boxes and his laminating machine, similar to the ...