- Jackson's Creative Pulse: What Has Changed Since 2002, What Is Still AheadWhen this newspaper started 15 years ago this week, promising a rising creative class in Jackson on its cover, the capital city was a different place that nearly everyone said they wanted to leave. Jackson was the butt of suburban ...
- ‘Everybody Matters, Or Nobody Matters’: The JFP Interview with Public Safety Commissioner Marshall FisherDepartment of Public Safety Commissioner Marshall Fisher shared his opinions and ideas about how law enforcement fits into society and government as a whole with the Jackson Free Press recently.
- Redefining Royalty: A Look Inside Jackson’s Drag CultureZachary Salter, who performs as Tara Shay Montgomery, says his drag persona is an extension of his own personality.
- All Hands on Deck: Showing Up for Childhood Literacy in MississippiAlmost two-thirds of American children cannot read proficiently at the beginning of the fourth grade, the benchmark used in most public schools. That means that those children are unable to interpret and apply what they read.
- Making Afterschool Programs WorkOperation Shoestring Program Director Amber May says that an equitable education is a basic right for everyone.
- JFP College Football Preview 2017It's that time of year once again when I lock myself away in a room and relive last college football season while preparing for the current one. Each year my hair gets grayer, and my predictions get worse.
- JFP College Football Preview 2017: University of Southern Mississippi Golden EaglesYear one of the Jay Hopson era was frustrating. USM opened the season with a major comeback victory over the University of Kentucky only to commit three turnovers in a loss to Troy University.
- JFP College Football Preview 2017: Jackson State University TigersThe Tony Hughes era got off to a rough start, with Jackson State beginning the season on a three-game losing streak.
- JFP College Football Preview 2017: Mississippi State University BulldogsWhile a good academic progress rate got Mississippi State into a bowl game, the team left wins on the table last season.
- JFP College Football Preview 2017: University of Mississippi RebelsLast season didn't go as planned for the University of Mississippi.
- JFP College Football Preview 2017: The SmallsLast season, the Belhaven Blazers won just two games, but one of those game was against rival Millsaps College in the season opener. Belhaven then lost eight games in a row before beating Howard Payne University.
- Where to Find What You NeedSchool can be fun to shop for, and luckily, Jackson has great local businesses where you can find them while avoiding chains. Try these for staples.
- Jackson’s Best Music VenuesGoing to watch a local band can be a fun way to occupy your time, and with Jackson's roots in music, it's no surprise that we have many venues, including this year's winners Best of Jackson winners and finalists.
- Stay Stress FreeAs you head into college, upcoming homework assignments and finals are inevitable, but even though the work is unavoidable, the accompanying stress doesn't have to be.
- How to Survive CollegeCollege can be both difficult and easy, depending on what you do. For this year's Jackpedia issue, we've gathered some tips to survive college.