- Still She RisesDirectors Rita Coburn Whack and Bob Hercules are bringing a new documentary to Mississippi screens: "Maya Angelou: And Still I Rise," which debuted at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival and took home the audience award for Best Feature at the ...
- Verge in the Wild Wild WestVerge is a new community-oriented art project that evolved from FIGMENT Jackson. The website for FIGMENT says the mission of the events, which happen in multiple cities across the United States, is to give free, family-friendly, participatory art events to ...
- The Facts About Immigration: A Former Border Czar Speaks ProPublica sat down to talk with Alan Bersin about the history, politics, rhetoric and reality surrounding the border issues that are driving a fierce national debate during the first weeks of the Trump administration.
- Murder in the City: Deep Causes, Harmful Biases, Unexpected Solutions to Gun ViolenceOn the night of Thursday, Feb. 9, a group of twenty-something Jacksonians were hanging out in Westwood Apartments at 3150 Robinson Road playing dominoes. Suddenly, several men walked in pointing guns and demanding their belongings.
- Happiness in Cupcake FormTreats are my personal favorite part of Valentine's Day. It's one of the only days of the year where it's acceptable to eat tons of candy and chocolate. This year, I decided to spice up some easy-to-make cupcakes for the ...
- Death by Broken HeartMany issues come to light if some relationships are not going as expected. The question I ask is, do we really understand how dangerous breaking a heart can be?
- Eat, Love and Get LocalWondering what to do this Valentine's Day? The Jackson Free Press has compiled a listing of restaurants and other businesses that can help out with your celebration is a lovely one.
- Reforming Criminal Justice: Is Mississippi Making Progress?The Mississippi Reentry Council has been working to make it easier for inmates to find jobs and re-acclimate to life free from bars. U.S. District Judge Keith Starrett says the ultimate goal of the council is community safety.
- Best of Jackson 2017: Doctors & LawyersWe all need doctors, dentists and sometimes a lawyer, so a couple of years ago, the Jackson Free Press added a special pop-up for Best of Jackson: Best Doctors and Dentists and Best Lawyers.
- Best of Jackson 2017: Urban LivingHigh Heaven Trampoline Park, which received the most votes for 2017's Best New Addition to Jackson, is a kind of wish-fulfillment factory to the vertically challenged among us.
- Best of Jackson 2017: Food & DrinkWhen you think of Italian food in the metro, Amerigo probably pops into your head. And these days, whether you're in Ridgeland or Flowood, or as far away as Nashville, you can find the restaurant and its popular menu items.
- Best of Jackson 2017: Nightlife & MusicLast year was a breakout time for Best Hip-Hop Artist winner SilaS, an unabashed anime fan.
- Best of Jackson 2017: PeopleAmanda Powell never set out to be the one of the best-dressed people in Jackson, but she says that is exactly how those closest to her see her.
- Best of Jackson 2017: Community & CultureIn the world of Top-40 radio, Y101 is one of the stations that stands out, and not just because it earned two Best of Jackson titles, Best Radio Personality and Best Radio Station, yet again.
- The District Attorney's Mistrial: What Just Happened? A Day-by-Day PrimerThe Mississippi attorney general's prosecution of Hinds County District Attorney Robert Shuler Smith for conspiracy to hinder prosecution in order to aid or assist a defendant ended in a mistrial on Jan. 4, 2017, in Special Judge Larry Roberts' courtroom.