- School Supply ListsIt's that time again. Here are the school supplies for Jackson Public Schools' grades kindergarten through fifth.
- JPS Need to KnowJackson Public Schools start back on Aug. 8. JPS has compiled a handy back-to-school guide on its website, Jackson.k12.ms.us. Here are some of the things parents and students should know for this year.
- Learning Outside the ClassroomEducation is important to a child's well-being. While classrooms provide a great setting for learning, Jackson has a lot of opportunities for kids to learn outside of a classroom. Here is some of what's happening over the next couple of ...
- The Importance of Sports PhysicalsHigh-school athletics is a big part of our local culture, and the possibility of a young athlete not being able to participate can be devastating to some teenagers and their families.
- Running Jackson: New CAO Robert Blaine Shares His VisionAfter a vibrant career as a traveling trombonist and conductor, Robert Blaine put down roots in Jackson, where he hopes to direct a comeback story.
- 2017 Chicks We LoveThis year's Chicks We Love help our communities in many ways, from giving a smile to every patient at a local women's clinic, to making people laugh with comedy, to playing music and advocating for the metro area's LGBT community, ...
- Minding the Equity Gap: How Majority-Black Clinton District Earns Its ‘A’ RatingThe October 2016 release of Mississippi's accountability ratings for each public-school district reveals wide racial disparities.
- This Little Light of Ours: Mississippi Civil Rights Museum Shines a Light on HistoryThe Mississippi Civil Rights Museum opened its doors temporarily on Tuesday, June 27, for a preview of the impactful, honest and focused features, like the Freedom Riders exhibit.
- Beer Tasting 2017: Mississippi v. TennesseeOver the last few years, craft beer has becoming a rising trend. Breweries are popping up all over, and southern states haven't been lost on the trend. Instead of doing a regular beer tasting, the Jackson Free Press staffers decided ...
- Red, White and Local CelebrationsCelebrate the Fourth of July holiday locally this year.
- Tapping a New Part of the Craft-Beer MarketAt Lucky Town Brewing Company, the sounds of loud music and construction consume the space. Barrels sit along the wall, and large mash tuns sit in a line across from each other. Despite the construction, the aroma of beer is ...
- Still Fighting at Home: Transgender Veterans Caught in the FluxSome top-down changes coming soon to the VA could help alleviate inadvertent or purposeful discrimination against LGBT veterans. Due to a recent change, all VA medical centers now have the ability for the first time to change a part of ...
- Guys We LoveIt's almost Father's Day, which means that it's time to celebrate the men we love, and we're not just talking about fathers.
- Eat Healthier, Shop LocalBusinesses such as Sweet & Sauer, which specializes in fermented foods, give Jacksonians healthier food choices.
- Have a Healthy SnackAs a family physician who treats chronic conditions such as hypertension and diabetes, I encourage my patients to make positive lifestyle choices to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.