Food & Drink
- Eating Out on a Student BudgetEating out on a college budget or even just a small one can be difficult, but this year's Best of Jackson winners and finalists for Meal Under $10 are good, affordable options.
- Down Home at Da Shak GrillFrederick Terry, who is the owner and chef at Da Shak Grill in Bryam, started learning how to cook around the age of 16.
- Going to the MarketOn each Saturday through August, an attraction called the Green Market and Crafts Fair sits at Dogwood Festival Market in Flowood.
- Ice Cream TruckersChunky Dunks Sweets Truck is an ice-cream food truck, and the only one of its kind in the state of Mississippi.
- Next Stop, DowntownLocal restaurateur and chef Derek Emerson, who owns Walker's Drive-in, CAET Wine Bar and Local 463 Urban Kitchen, recently bought Parlor Market in downtown Jackson. He says his latest project is a labor of love.
- In Josephine’s Kitchen"Extreme potatoes" is not a term people use often, but at Josephine's Kitchen, it's part of the menu.
- Beer Tasting 2017: Mississippi v. TennesseeOver the last few years, craft beer has becoming a rising trend. Breweries are popping up all over, and southern states haven't been lost on the trend. Instead of doing a regular beer tasting, the Jackson Free Press staffers decided ...
- Red, White and Local CelebrationsCelebrate the Fourth of July holiday locally this year.
- Tapping a New Part of the Craft-Beer MarketAt Lucky Town Brewing Company, the sounds of loud music and construction consume the space. Barrels sit along the wall, and large mash tuns sit in a line across from each other. Despite the construction, the aroma of beer is ...
- A Local Dad’s DayCelebrate dads with local businesses such as Nandy’s Candy.
- Local and Lucky at Craft Beer FestLucky Town Brewing Company brewmaster Lucas Simmons' love of beer started where it does for a lot of beer lovers—in college.
- Eat Healthier, Shop LocalBusinesses such as Sweet & Sauer, which specializes in fermented foods, give Jacksonians healthier food choices.
- Have a Healthy SnackAs a family physician who treats chronic conditions such as hypertension and diabetes, I encourage my patients to make positive lifestyle choices to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Beware of Food AllergiesThe Food Allergy Research and Education's website, foodallergy.org, says that every day, 15 million Americans with food allergies face difficult challenges in avoiding their allergens and preventing a life-threatening reaction, which is called anaphylaxis.
- Spirits of SummerSummer is a time for relaxing and having fun with friends and family. These cocktails are perfect additions to the party. It's time to take a deep breath and enjoy the long, anticipated summer days.