Food & Drink
- King (Cakes) for a DayIf you live anywhere in or near the Gulf Coast from Louisiana to Alabama, chances are king cakes are pretty prevalent. Here is where you can enjoy some of the local versions.
- Love, Life and Local EventsThis Valentine’s Day, celebrate by supporting local businesses and restaurants, and attending local events.
- Best of Jackson 2019: Food and DrinkWe here at the Jackson Free Press like to keep our focus on local: local people, local business, local food—you get the idea. There’s nothing to us more local than Best of Jackson. We’re officially in our 17th award season. ...
- The Nick Wallace WayThough "farm-to-table" is a popular food and restaurant concept these days, it informed much of Jackson chef Nick Wallace's culinary background.
- Ring in the Jackson New Year2018 has flown by fast, and 2019 is fast approaching. Celebrate the new year with these events from local businesses, restaurants and people.
- New York-Style Deli to Open in JacksonIn crafting the menu for Ariella's NY Delicatessen, Alivia Ashburn-Townsend developed deli staples such as the frankfurter with sauerkraut, along with Italian items she thought would complement the restaurant's theme.
- Season’s EatingsThe Jackson metro area has plenty of food options for the holidays, with many restaurants serving specialty items and offering take-home meals.
- Sweets & SucculentsThe first thing people might see when they walk into The Prickly Hippie is not the titular "prickly" cacti, but instead a bevy of soft sweets in the dessert case.
- Mississippi-Made HolidayNeed ideas for gifts for loved ones this season? Check out our gift guide full of Mississippi-made items.
- Cathead’s New Bourbon, Frock Fashions Opens and Lemuria’s ‘Photos with Paddington’Cathead Distillery’s new bourbon line, Old Soul bourbon whiskey, went on sale in liquor stores statewide on Friday, Nov. 16. Cathead produced 500 cases of Old Soul for this initial batch, which it will only sell within Mississippi.
- Turkeys and TreatsIf you don’t want to cook this Thanksgiving, let local businesses and restaurants help you out.
- Local List: Mallory PalmertreeMallory Palmertree is both an artist and a tattoo artist for frequent Best of Jackson winner Electric Dagger. When she’s not tattooing, she’s out and about in Jackson. Here are her 10 favorite places.
- Fall Into These Healthier Sweet TreatsThe holiday season is getting closer and closer, which means one thing: lots of food, especially desserts with tons of sugar. UnitedHealthcare recently compiled a list of healthier desserts. Try these two in this season.
- Spooky SweetsBusinesses such as Nandy’s Candy will have treats for Halloween.
- Halloween Boos & Things to DoBusinesses and organizations around the Jackson area feature a variety of Halloween events throughout the month of October.