Food & Drink
- Next Stop, DowntownLocal restaurateur and chef Derek Emerson, who owns Walker's Drive-in, CAET Wine Bar and Local 463 Urban Kitchen, recently bought Parlor Market in downtown Jackson. He says his latest project is a labor of love.
- In Josephine’s Kitchen"Extreme potatoes" is not a term people use often, but at Josephine's Kitchen, it's part of the menu.
- Beer Tasting 2017: Mississippi v. TennesseeOver the last few years, craft beer has becoming a rising trend. Breweries are popping up all over, and southern states haven't been lost on the trend. Instead of doing a regular beer tasting, the Jackson Free Press staffers decided ...
- Red, White and Local CelebrationsCelebrate the Fourth of July holiday locally this year.
- Tapping a New Part of the Craft-Beer MarketAt Lucky Town Brewing Company, the sounds of loud music and construction consume the space. Barrels sit along the wall, and large mash tuns sit in a line across from each other. Despite the construction, the aroma of beer is ...
- A Local Dad’s DayCelebrate dads with local businesses such as Nandy’s Candy.
- Local and Lucky at Craft Beer FestLucky Town Brewing Company brewmaster Lucas Simmons' love of beer started where it does for a lot of beer lovers—in college.
- Eat Healthier, Shop LocalBusinesses such as Sweet & Sauer, which specializes in fermented foods, give Jacksonians healthier food choices.
- Have a Healthy SnackAs a family physician who treats chronic conditions such as hypertension and diabetes, I encourage my patients to make positive lifestyle choices to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Beware of Food AllergiesThe Food Allergy Research and Education's website, foodallergy.org, says that every day, 15 million Americans with food allergies face difficult challenges in avoiding their allergens and preventing a life-threatening reaction, which is called anaphylaxis.
- Spirits of SummerSummer is a time for relaxing and having fun with friends and family. These cocktails are perfect additions to the party. It's time to take a deep breath and enjoy the long, anticipated summer days.
- Crustacean for All OccasionsNothing says summer in Mississippi like seafood, but there are plenty of options for getting your shrimp and crab fix without a hefty price tag. Here are a few simple yet tasty recipes to try out this season.
- Holy Smokers, Batman!Mike Flannes, a member of the Holy Smokers, describes one of their many dishes: a marinated smoked pork tenderloin stuffed with boudin sausage, wrapped in bacon, with a raspberry chipotle sauce and gouda cheese grits. "Are you getting hungry yet?" ...
- Celebrate Moms LocallyYour mom may sometimes tell you, "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out of it." But this Mother's Day, why not take your mom out for a day on the town? Let the Jackson Free ...
- The Sweet and the SauerThe day before the grand opening of Sweet & Sauer's fermentation kitchen at The Hatch in midtown Jackson, Lauren Rhoades was in her kitchen, preparing ingredients for her fermented mustard.