Food & Drink
- Bottles and Bubbles: 2017 Wine TastingIt's the 2017 Spring Food issue, which means one thing: JFP staffers gathered together to try some more wine.
- Downtown's Sweet RestorationThe JFP recently talked to Elizabeth Augustine over the phone about her journey to Sugar Ray's, the business itself and its place in the landscape of a changing downtown Jackson.
- Beer: If It Looks Good, Drink ItI've always loved this particular phrase from "Bizarre Foods" host Andrew Zimmern: "If it looks good, eat it."
- Hopping Down the Local Food TrailIf you don't want to cook Easter lunch or dinner this year (or if you need treats), why not eat and shop local? Here is your guide to Easter Sunday on April 16.
- Underground 119 Is BackFor all of Mississippi's storied blues history, Michael Rejebian can't pinpoint many destinations for live blues in downtown Jackson, which has been his home for the past decade.
- Taste the BistroWhen brainstorming names for her new restaurant, Candice Brewster kept coming back to one word: taste. Her reasoning was that if the food doesn't taste good, nothing else matters.
- Local and LuckyIf you haven't heard, the Hal's St. Paddy's Day Parade & Festival is this weekend. Here is your guide to what you can do before and after.
- Those Crazy CatsApril 15 will mark one year since Crazy Cat Bakers moved from its original Highland Village location into more spacious digs at Canton Mart Square. But the restaurant, now called Crazy Cat Eat Up, is still undergoing some big changes.
- Sugar’s LegacyPreparing meals for the masses isn't anything new for Glenda Cage Barner and her son, Donovan Barner, who own Sugar's Place. They have spent years cooking up food for their large family reunions.
- A Bunch of WiseacresThe word "wiseacre" is slang for "smartass." And it fits the origins of the Wireacre Brewing Co. in Memphis, Teen. Its journey began in 1997 in Boston, Mass., when brothers Davin and Kellan Bartosch stole their parents' rental car and ...
- Happiness in Cupcake FormTreats are my personal favorite part of Valentine's Day. It's one of the only days of the year where it's acceptable to eat tons of candy and chocolate. This year, I decided to spice up some easy-to-make cupcakes for the ...
- Eat, Love and Get LocalWondering what to do this Valentine's Day? The Jackson Free Press has compiled a listing of restaurants and other businesses that can help out with your celebration is a lovely one.
- A New Executive (Chef) in TownThough chef Nicole Medrano has only been in Jackson for a year, she is making waves in the local culinary scene. After Jesse Houston stepped down as executive chef at Saltine Oyster Bar, Medrano took the helm in early January.
- Best of Jackson 2017: Urban LivingHigh Heaven Trampoline Park, which received the most votes for 2017's Best New Addition to Jackson, is a kind of wish-fulfillment factory to the vertically challenged among us.
- Best of Jackson 2017: Food & DrinkWhen you think of Italian food in the metro, Amerigo probably pops into your head. And these days, whether you're in Ridgeland or Flowood, or as far away as Nashville, you can find the restaurant and its popular menu items.