Food & Drink
- Eat Healthier, Shop LocalBusinesses such as Sweet & Sauer, which specializes in fermented foods, give Jacksonians healthier food choices.
- Have a Healthy SnackAs a family physician who treats chronic conditions such as hypertension and diabetes, I encourage my patients to make positive lifestyle choices to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Beware of Food AllergiesThe Food Allergy Research and Education's website, foodallergy.org, says that every day, 15 million Americans with food allergies face difficult challenges in avoiding their allergens and preventing a life-threatening reaction, which is called anaphylaxis.
- Spirits of SummerSummer is a time for relaxing and having fun with friends and family. These cocktails are perfect additions to the party. It's time to take a deep breath and enjoy the long, anticipated summer days.
- Crustacean for All OccasionsNothing says summer in Mississippi like seafood, but there are plenty of options for getting your shrimp and crab fix without a hefty price tag. Here are a few simple yet tasty recipes to try out this season.
- Holy Smokers, Batman!Mike Flannes, a member of the Holy Smokers, describes one of their many dishes: a marinated smoked pork tenderloin stuffed with boudin sausage, wrapped in bacon, with a raspberry chipotle sauce and gouda cheese grits. "Are you getting hungry yet?" ...
- Celebrate Moms LocallyYour mom may sometimes tell you, "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out of it." But this Mother's Day, why not take your mom out for a day on the town? Let the Jackson Free ...
- The Sweet and the SauerThe day before the grand opening of Sweet & Sauer's fermentation kitchen at The Hatch in midtown Jackson, Lauren Rhoades was in her kitchen, preparing ingredients for her fermented mustard.
- Bottles and Bubbles: 2017 Wine TastingIt's the 2017 Spring Food issue, which means one thing: JFP staffers gathered together to try some more wine.
- Downtown's Sweet RestorationThe JFP recently talked to Elizabeth Augustine over the phone about her journey to Sugar Ray's, the business itself and its place in the landscape of a changing downtown Jackson.
- Beer: If It Looks Good, Drink ItI've always loved this particular phrase from "Bizarre Foods" host Andrew Zimmern: "If it looks good, eat it."
- Hopping Down the Local Food TrailIf you don't want to cook Easter lunch or dinner this year (or if you need treats), why not eat and shop local? Here is your guide to Easter Sunday on April 16.
- Underground 119 Is BackFor all of Mississippi's storied blues history, Michael Rejebian can't pinpoint many destinations for live blues in downtown Jackson, which has been his home for the past decade.
- Taste the BistroWhen brainstorming names for her new restaurant, Candice Brewster kept coming back to one word: taste. Her reasoning was that if the food doesn't taste good, nothing else matters.
- Local and LuckyIf you haven't heard, the Hal's St. Paddy's Day Parade & Festival is this weekend. Here is your guide to what you can do before and after.