Food & Drink
- Eventful EatingBe sure not to miss these tasty events coming up this weekend.
- The District's 'Classy Burger Joint'When Ray-Scott Miller saw the plans for The District at Eastover, he knew immediately that the space called for a certain type of restaurant: a "classy burger joint."
- The War for CupcakesJamie Kurlej, communications outreach specialist for NAMI Mississippi and its Youth Advisory Council, says the goal of Cupcake Wars 2017 is to raise money that will help "expand awareness of mental illness," specifically to a younger audience, she says.
- Crystal Kelly"When people see my cake jars, and they see purple towels or purple spoons, they already know that’s Cakes by Crystal."
- Mr. Chen’s ExpandsTy Bowls in Clinton, which is in the former China Express space, has recently re-opened its doors under shared management and ownership with Mr. Chen's Authentic Chinese Restaurant.
- The Wild, Wild, Tasty WestCommon Ground Covenant Church will host Taste of West Jackson for a second year on Saturday, Sept. 16, at Claiborne Park from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Store-to-Freezer Sustainable Eating TipsFarm-to-table is a noble concept, but registered dietitian nutritionist Felicia Stoler says what goes on inside your home is as important as what happens at farms and food manufacturing facilities.
- Eating Out on a Student BudgetEating out on a college budget or even just a small one can be difficult, but this year's Best of Jackson winners and finalists for Meal Under $10 are good, affordable options.
- Down Home at Da Shak GrillFrederick Terry, who is the owner and chef at Da Shak Grill in Bryam, started learning how to cook around the age of 16.
- Going to the MarketOn each Saturday through August, an attraction called the Green Market and Crafts Fair sits at Dogwood Festival Market in Flowood.
- Ice Cream TruckersChunky Dunks Sweets Truck is an ice-cream food truck, and the only one of its kind in the state of Mississippi.
- Next Stop, DowntownLocal restaurateur and chef Derek Emerson, who owns Walker's Drive-in, CAET Wine Bar and Local 463 Urban Kitchen, recently bought Parlor Market in downtown Jackson. He says his latest project is a labor of love.
- In Josephine’s Kitchen"Extreme potatoes" is not a term people use often, but at Josephine's Kitchen, it's part of the menu.
- Beer Tasting 2017: Mississippi v. TennesseeOver the last few years, craft beer has becoming a rising trend. Breweries are popping up all over, and southern states haven't been lost on the trend. Instead of doing a regular beer tasting, the Jackson Free Press staffers decided ...
- Red, White and Local CelebrationsCelebrate the Fourth of July holiday locally this year.