- Redefining Royalty: A Look Inside Jackson’s Drag CultureZachary Salter, who performs as Tara Shay Montgomery, says his drag persona is an extension of his own personality.
- Keeping Art in MindOn the last Wednesday of each month at the Mississippi Museum of Art, participants in one of the museum's classes paint colorful swirls and patterns in an effort to, in a sense, jog their memory.
- On the Road AgainRoad trips can be fun, but they can also be a hassle. After traveling a bunch over the last few months, I've picked up on some tips that make road trips go a lot smoother. Here are 9 of them.
- Dear Pam: Stay in Your LaneIf a so-called activist organization doesn't have the analysis to look at how their suggestions play out for people across income, race, disability and regional lines, then I suggest they should not challenge any city leaders to anything until they ...
- Being BraveWe are scared of something, and one day we realize that if we want it enough, we will be brave and endure the pain for it. And then something even more magical happens: Every situation after that requires us to ...
- Grow Roots, Wings Where You’re PlantedOnce upon a time, I was one of the young people who wanted to get out of this place. In early high school, I imagined that after college, I would travel everywhere, living somewhere for two years at a time. ...
- Jackson Mayor Vows to Go Vegan in Light of City Health Issues "Many places in Jackson and many places in our State are considered food deserts, so it’s not only a matter of people’s willingness, but it’s about what’s available to them.”
- Got Melanin? CultureSnap Evolving Black HashtagsAlmost three years ago, Jackson native Frederick Burns decided that the black community needed its own social-media app using the words and phrases popular in the world of Black Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.
- Creating a Culture of Wellness in JacksonWhen a company considers relocating or expanding to a city, it considers more than the conditions of its streets. The health of the population is also a factor because it affects medical costs and productivity, which can adversely affect the ...
- Best of Jackson: Health CareThe Jackson Free Press recently put out a pop-up ballot to let Jacksonians vote for the doctors, dentists, surgeons and more that help them stay healthy. Here are the results.
- Eat Healthier, Shop LocalBusinesses such as Sweet & Sauer, which specializes in fermented foods, give Jacksonians healthier food choices.
- Have a Healthy SnackAs a family physician who treats chronic conditions such as hypertension and diabetes, I encourage my patients to make positive lifestyle choices to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Running a 5K in Your ShoesRaces are a thing in Jackson; here's a list of the 5Ks and other races coming up.
- Beware of Food AllergiesThe Food Allergy Research and Education's website, foodallergy.org, says that every day, 15 million Americans with food allergies face difficult challenges in avoiding their allergens and preventing a life-threatening reaction, which is called anaphylaxis.
- Slow and SteadyIdeally, maintaining a healthy diet and exercise program is a lifestyle decision that we should maintain year-round. But those who don't participate in a year-round healthy lifestyle must remember that weight loss is a marathon and not a sprint.