- Eat Healthier, Shop LocalBusinesses such as Sweet & Sauer, which specializes in fermented foods, give Jacksonians healthier food choices.
- Have a Healthy SnackAs a family physician who treats chronic conditions such as hypertension and diabetes, I encourage my patients to make positive lifestyle choices to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Running a 5K in Your ShoesRaces are a thing in Jackson; here's a list of the 5Ks and other races coming up.
- Beware of Food AllergiesThe Food Allergy Research and Education's website, foodallergy.org, says that every day, 15 million Americans with food allergies face difficult challenges in avoiding their allergens and preventing a life-threatening reaction, which is called anaphylaxis.
- Slow and SteadyIdeally, maintaining a healthy diet and exercise program is a lifestyle decision that we should maintain year-round. But those who don't participate in a year-round healthy lifestyle must remember that weight loss is a marathon and not a sprint.
- Health and Tech Go Hand in HandThere aren't a lot of life lessons to gain from the 1998 teen horror flick "The Faculty." But when Elijah Wood's character says, "I don't think a person should run unless he's being chased," well, that's a message that just ...
- Brighten Your Backyard on a BudgetIt's easy to feel the start of the season when you have a colorful outdoor space for entertaining and relaxing.
- You Are Invited ...Alicia Stapleton, who also goes by Cookie, says she likes to use real embellishments for the wedding invitations she designs such as a small starfish for a destination wedding, or a piece of lace and a cameo pendant for a ...
- Gambling in Mississippi: State in Top 5 for Addiction, First for Related ArrestsMississippi sees the most gambling-related arrests and is in the top five states in the country for gambling addiction, a recent study from WalletHub found.
- Stop Summer Learning Loss with Structured ProgramsIn a recent conversation with a patient, she inquired about what the best scenario for her children would be during summer vacation.
- If Not for My Size"You are such a beautiful woman for your size." Yep. In 2017, someone said that to me.
- Walking the RunwayIn a rehearsal at Salsa Mississippi, nearly 30 girls line up in the dance studio, walking down the floor as though it was a runway. A live audience will soon replace the studio's large mirror at the annual Mississippi Fashion ...
- Prep for the Long HaulSt. Paddy's Parade weekend is a marathon, not a sprint. As such, it's important to plan ahead and be prepared.
- What Do You Know About Being Green?It's time for the annual Hal's St. Paddy's Parade & Festival. To make sure you get where you want to be, when you want to be there, the Jackson Free Press wanted to provide a helpful guide for the day's ...
- Use the T-word: Trauma Matters, Must Be TreatedWithout an understanding of trauma—what often lies beneath the surface of a child who was taken out of an abusive home or a teenager in juvenile detention—the wounds won't heal.