- The Magical Music of Harry PotterFor Ron Spigelman, there is just as much magic in a conductor's baton as the wand of any witch or wizard. "Music, in my opinion," he says, "is the true third dimension in film."
- The Mississippi Sound—2018 EditionMississippi has some incredible musical roots, but the state often does not get enough attention for its current crop of original music, oddly.
- Ring in the Jackson New Year2018 has flown by fast, and 2019 is fast approaching. Celebrate the new year with these events from local businesses, restaurants and people.
- The Wonders of 'Wonderland'Thalia Mara Hall in downtown Jackson has featured plenty of orchestral events over the years, but the latest concert from touring act Cirque Musica plans to do something a little different with the space.
- Armory Sessions, UnlockedLayoffs ended up paving the way for Clinton resident Kody Gautier to combine his love of music with his skills as a videographer.
- Buddy GuyBaton Rouge, La., will honor blues legend and Louisiana native Buddy Guy during a ceremony on Saturday, Dec. 8.
- Yayo the Drummer: Making the One-Man BandJackson-native musician Matthew Mayberry, better known as Yayo the Drummer, has been performing with Lil Wayne for about two years, but he says that he has worked to promote live instrumentation in hip-hop shows for a long time.
- The Man with the Horn and a BrushJackson State University is the first university in the United States to host a gallery of Miles Davis' visual artwork, with more than a dozen of his paintings and personal photographs appearing in the exhibit.
- The Heart in HilarityThe members of the Mississippi Opera are clearly fans of W.S. Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan, and as the legendary duo's music has been performed across the globe for more than a century, they should be in good company.
- Collective Soul at 25 YearsBassist Will Turpin describes the 25th anniversary of Collective Soul with one word in particular: "surreal."
- Halloween Boos & Things to DoBusinesses and organizations around the Jackson area feature a variety of Halloween events throughout the month of October.
- SILAS: Hope, Hops & HokageSilas Stapleton III, better known to fans as SILAS, is blending hip-hop and hops for his upcoming album, "The Last Cherry Blossom."
- Artists to WatchJackson officially earned the nickname of the "City with Soul" back during Mayor Harvey Johnson Jr.'s administration, and it's fitting. If you pick up any issue of the Jackson Free Press, you are bound to find more soulful music than ...
- EDITOR'S NOTE: Breaking the ‘Bucket List’If I cared to make a bucket list, then Oct. 1 would have checked off one item for me. I got to lead my first workshop, "Making the Most of Music Media," thanks to BlueSky Studio and owner Casey Combest, ...
- Andrew HeadMississippi Opera Chorusmaster Andrew Head likes that opera involves so many elements: singing technique, learning new languages, staging and an orchestra, among other elements.