- The Making of Michissippi MickFrom the time that Mick Kolassa was 15 years old, he says blues music has pulled him in like a tractor beam, but it wasn't until a few years ago that he put his passion front and center.
- Summer at SpacecampFollowing an acoustic set, singer-songwriter Alex Fraser hits a distortion pedal and strums bar chords louder than any of his preceding songs.
- Caroline HerringLongtime listeners of "Thacker Mountain Radio Hour" may recognize one voice in particular at the program's latest live taping. Canton-native folk singer Caroline Herring will be a featured guest when "Thacker Mountain" comes to Clinton on June 17, and she ...
- Sounds from the Empty HouseFor many years, musicians Judson Wright and Nigel Cole were friends and ran in the same circles, but they didn't make music together—at least, not outside of the school band.
- A Jumping Point for JazzJackson musician Raphael Semmes and the management at Hal & Mal's launched their weekly jazz offering, "Dinner, Drinks & Jazz with Raphael Semmes," in May and planned to keep it running each Tuesday of last month.
- Craig YoungMississippi Wind Symphony conductor Craig Young graduated from Bowling Green State University with a bachelor's degree in music education in 1988.
- The Bacon BrothersWhen someone discovers that a film star also plays music, it can instantly become little more than trivia. For longtime fans all over the world, though, the Bacon Brothers are a different story.
- Ribs, Rubs & Rock ‘N’ RollAs the members of Jackson alternative-country band Young Valley put the final touches on their upcoming sophomore album about three months ago, they began brainstorming how to raise funds to distribute and promote the release.
- Dylan Goes EclecticOperation Shoestring, a Jackson-based nonprofit organization that focuses on providing for the educational, cultural and social needs of children, is incorporating the music of Bob Dylan in its upcoming fundraiser for its summer programs.
- Flywalker’s Next StepsThe track, "ctrlaltdelete.", is just the latest of many that Jackson producer Darrin Givens, known to fans as Flywalker, has put out on online music communities such as SoundCloud. It is primed for an up-and-coming rapper to record over it, ...
- Grace Askew: A New WarpathThe Americana realm will be well represented in this year's Stray At Home Art & Music Festival on May 13. The music lineup features nationally known singer-songwriters Marc Scibilia, Joe Pug and Zach Williams of the Lone Bellow, as well ...
- Behind Vicksburg’s BluesIf you have made your way over for one of Vicksburg's many concerts, festivals and shows in recent years, the odds are good that you've crossed paths with Shirley Waring, one of the people charged with preserving the city's musical ...
- The Weeks: ‘Easy’ WritersIt's been four years since Jackson-native rock act The Weeks released a true follow-up to their 2013 album, "Dear Bo Jackson," although the band has been far from quiet.
- The Days of DeejaysAs an artist who came up in the early-2000s hip-hop scene and still performs today, New York native Sam Zornow, whom fans know as DJ Shiftee, has experienced two different eras of deejaying.
- Revealing ‘Rigoletto’The latest production from the Mississippi Opera, "Rigoletto," may be a recognizable name even for people who aren't versed in the classics.