- Mr. Fluid: Fighting ConformityWhile he would rather be on a stage or in the studio, Mississippi rapper and producer Mr. Fluid's past work experiences are part of the inspiration behind his third album, "When Conformity Is Not Comfortable," also stylized as "WC INC."
- Matt MaherSinger-songwriter Matt Maher has been a significant presence in the world of contemporary Christian music since the early 2000s, but before he was introduced to religion, he says that he was running away, at least at some level.
- Johnny Rawls: Letting Life FlowMississippi bluesman Johnny Rawls encountered the music for the first time on a cool Christmas morning when he was 12 years old.
- Celebrating Mississippi ComposersWhen the Mississippi Chorus began looking ahead to the launch of its 30th season this fall, Artistic Director Mark Nabholz says that the board faced an important question: How should they kick off such a milestone year?
- Mixed Messages: The JFP Interview with Big K.R.I.T.Justin Scott, better known as hip-hop artist Big K.R.I.T., says that he has always felt like a bit of an anomaly.
- EDITOR'S NOTE: Mississippi, the Birthplace (and Future) of America’s MusicMaybe there is a problem with just saying we're the "birthplace of America's music." It doesn't really say that the music still lives here.
- Keeshea Pratt Keeps GoingThis year's International Blues Challenge featured many musicians from the Magnolia State, with artists from the Mississippi Delta Blues Society of Indianola and the Vicksburg Blues Society making the semifinals. While neither group made the list of winners in late ...
- Yolanda SingletonAfter 26 years in the entertainment business, concert promoter Yolanda Singleton says she feels like she has finally carved out a niche in the male-dominated industry.
- The Sounds of St. Paddy'sThese days, venues across the city make sure there are plenty of options for live music before and after the parade, but Hal's St. Paddy's Festival is still one of the biggest draws downtown, with both local and touring entertainment ...
- The Lucky Round-UpPlenty of local places have plans for this year's Hal's St. Paddy's Parade in Jackson. Here's a list of some of the festivities to be found this weekend.
- Alexander FRE$COSomething was not sitting right for James Villes. In 2017, after working on a new recording project for about a year and a half, the hip-hop artist and Jackson native, whom fans know as Alexander FRE$CO, says the music just ...
- The Future of Fleet FoxesWhen a band ends a six-year hiatus, there are bound to be high expectations for the new music that breaks the silence. For Robin Pecknold, principal songwriter of Seattle indie-folk group Fleet Foxes, that expectation came from himself for the ...
- Travis Meadows: On Mississippi DirtTravis Meadows may not be a household name for every country-music fan, but the Nashville, Tenn., singer-songwriter has made a place for himself among the biggest stars in the genre.
- Tedeschi Trucks: Capturing New GroundWhen Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks performed together on New Year's Eve in 2008, it was a normal day in many ways.
- REVIEW: Wake up to Heart SocietyIf musicians Teneia Sanders-Eichelberger and Ben Eichelberger have proved only one thing over the course of their careers, it is that they are adaptable. On "Wake the Queens," their debut EP as Heart Society, the Jackson-based husband-and-wife duo has ventured ...