- Artists to WatchJackson officially earned the nickname of the "City with Soul" back during Mayor Harvey Johnson Jr.'s administration, and it's fitting. If you pick up any issue of the Jackson Free Press, you are bound to find more soulful music than ...
- EDITOR'S NOTE: Breaking the ‘Bucket List’If I cared to make a bucket list, then Oct. 1 would have checked off one item for me. I got to lead my first workshop, "Making the Most of Music Media," thanks to BlueSky Studio and owner Casey Combest, ...
- Andrew HeadMississippi Opera Chorusmaster Andrew Head likes that opera involves so many elements: singing technique, learning new languages, staging and an orchestra, among other elements.
- Otis RushLegendary Chicago blues guitarist Otis Rush, whose passionate, jazz-tinged music influenced artists from Carlos Santana and Eric Clapton to the rock band Led Zeppelin, died Saturday at the age of 84, his longtime manager said.
- SIKA Digs into ‘The Meal Plan’Jessica Noxolo's solo debut, "The Meal Plan" EP, may feature a song titled "The Appetizer," but the Jackson neo-soul artist, who performs as SIKA, says she sees the recording project itself as a teaser of things to come.
- American AquariumChange has long been the status quo for singer-songwriter BJ Barham of alternative-country act American Aquarium, but rarely has so much happened in such a short span of time.
- A Look Inside Luke AudioFlora, Miss., native Allen Luke turned his years of tinkering with musical equipment into a full-time career as the founder of Luke Audio in Nashville, Tenn.
- Presidents, Pop Stars Join in Epic Farewell to Queen of SoulFormer presidents and preachers joined a parade of pop stars Friday in a singing, hip-swaying, piano-pounding farewell to Aretha Franklin, remembering the Queen of Soul as a powerful force for musical and political change and a steadfast friend.
- Liza Anne: Moving Forward to ‘Fine’When singer-songwriter Liza Odachowski, whom fans know as Liza Anne, selected a studio for her third album, "Fine But Dying," her choice revolved around atmosphere rather than equipment.
- Rock EuporaClayton Waller says he knew that he wanted to be in the music industry but was on the fence as to whether that would be on the artist side or the business side.
- Lyle LovettSinger-songwriter Lyle Lovett has been a constant presence in the international music scene since his second single, "Cowboy Man," made its way into the top 10 on the country charts in 1986.
- AP Newsbreak: 'Queen of Soul' Aretha Franklin Dies at 76Aretha Franklin, the undisputed "Queen of Soul" who sang with matchless style on such classics as "Think," ''I Say a Little Prayer" and her signature song, "Respect," and stood as a cultural icon around the globe, has died at age ...
- Robert Randolph & the Family BandThe City with Soul will once again welcome the man behind "Got Soul" this month. New Jersey outfit Robert Randolph & the Family Band will return to Jackson on Aug. 11 to play for the 14th annual Bright Lights Belhaven ...
- Reinventing the Release PlanWithout the financial support and connections of a record label, getting the word out about a new recording project is no easy task. We at the JFP decided to put together some tips for local artists and bands looking to ...
- Elvis PresleyElvis Presley's Mississippi hometown could create a tourism partnership with the German city where he lived while serving in the U.S. Army.