- Best of Jackson 2018: Music and NightlifeWe here at the Jackson Free Press like to keep our focus on local: local people, local business, local food--you get the idea. There's nothing to us more local than Best of Jackson. We're officially in our 16th award season. ...
- Better Sans EzraBetter Than Ezra fans will hear plenty of hit songs when the band's frontman, Kevin Griffin, performs solo on Jan. 19 in Jackson. However, not all of those familiar tunes come courtesy of the New Orleans, La., alternative-rock act.
- English Rocker to Play Steve's DeliMarty Willson-Piper sat in a booth at the back of Steve’s Deli in downtown Jackson, lifting a finger to trace a line between the records on the wall. He owns many of them, which is not all that surprising. As ...
- Indie Music Week Growing in Third YearNow, in its third year, the week-long Jackson Indie Music Week festival is held across Jackson in various venues. It features showcases, industry panels, award shows and other events, and as transitioned into a staple for many in the community.
- Ben SparacoAt age 20, Florida native Ben Sparaco has already amassed a highlight reel longer than many that of many older guitarists and songwriters.
- Ring in the New YearRing in 2018 with help from local businesses. Find more New Year’s Event happenings at jfpevents.com.
- The Mississippi 40: New Music for the New YearThere is never a shortage of music in Mississippi, with countless concerts, showcases and open mics taking place around the state on a daily basis. Since the live music scene slows down a bit over the holiday season, we put ...
- A Choral ChristmasThe Mississippi Chorus will perform the first movement of 18th-century composer George Frideric Handel's seminal oratorio, "Messiah," again this year, following two sold-out performances in 2016.
- Pam ConferWhen Pam Confer writes songs, she says the lyrics just come to her, and she starts singing them. So one evening in spring 2016, Confer was walking her dog, Jazzie, when she began singing, "Who are we?"
- Illuminating ‘Shine’For Larry Brewer, writing songs isn't a "some of the time" endeavor. He has been a professional musician for more than 40 years, most notably as the frontman for rock act The Windows in the 1980s and then as a ...
- A Jazzy Night in JacksonThe South meets the North for the latest installment of the Mississippi Jazz Foundation's annual "Night of Musical Artistry," an evening of jazz beats and sultry vocals at Duling Hall on Dec. 1.
- Mega RanFans may recognize Raheem Jarbo, also known Mega Ran, as a prolific writer of "nerdcore" rap, blending the worlds of hip-hop with video games and other forms of entertainment. However, that combination wasn't always an obvious choice for the Phoenix, ...
- Particle DevotionThe formation of indie-rock bands is a pretty common occurrence on any college campus, but things were a little different for Baton Rouge, La., quintet Particle Devotion.
- Love for the Rebel and the SaintKirk Franklin will be a familiar name to many people who grew up in church in the 1990s, but it's a name that is still picking up steam today.
- From Ireland to JacksonAccordion-player Paul Brock has been a professional musician for the past decade, but his pursuit of traditional Irish music has spanned almost his entire life. As for how long that is, he replies with a chuckle, "Well, I'm over 21."