- A Star-Studded State FairThe Mississippi State Fair is never short on activities to keep visitors occupied, between the carnival games, livestock shows, rides and food—oh, so much food.
- The Avett Brothers: Learning from ‘Sadness’Fans of The Avett Brothers might not have to find the band in such high spirits based on the title of their ninth album, "True Sadness."
- Dent May: MS ConfidentialThere's a story that countless TV shows and movies have mined over the years: The small-town artist moves to the big city chasing fame and fortune.
- John De ChiaroAs a child, John De Chiaro often traveled with his stepfather, a shoemaker in New Jersey, into New York City to buy supplies, but on one trip, at about 5 years old, he wandered next door to a pawnshop and ...
- A Two-Heart SocietyHusband-and-wife music duo Teneia Sanders-Eichelberger and Ben Eichelberger have kept themselves busy over the past few years, between making Jackson their new base of operations in late 2015 and performing around the country.
- Seth PowerSinger-songwriter Seth Power may plan on putting down roots in the songwriter's Mecca, Nashville, in the near future, but for now, he says that Brandon, Miss., is his home base, and that's not a bad thing.
- Creating a CultureMusic and worship have been intertwined topics for Chris Quilala, one of the primary vocalists and leaders of the band Jesus Culture, for most of his life.
- R&B Back in ActionIn its fourth year, 2016, the Jackson Rhythm & Blues Festival moved from its former home at the Mississippi Agriculture and Forestry Museum to the Jackson Convention Complex downtown. As it turned out, however, transforming the open-air festival into a ...
- Jackson’s Best Music VenuesGoing to watch a local band can be a fun way to occupy your time, and with Jackson's roots in music, it's no surprise that we have many venues, including this year's winners Best of Jackson winners and finalists.
- Get FlusteredFor the members of Palm Desert, Calif.-based quartet The Flusters, music has not only been a matter of creating art but also of brotherhood, formed through shared influences and almost three years together on the road.
- Sam Mooney: Finding His WayLike many performers, pop and soul artist Sam Mooney was infatuated with music from a young age. However, the connection wasn't instant.
- Marcel P. Black: Building BridgesBryan Marcel Williams, known to fans as hip-hop artist Marcel P. Black, says that he always had music on his mind growing up in the small town of Ardmore, Okla.
- Jimmy Herring: Cracking the WhipAudiences all over the world have gotten to know guitarist Jimmy Herring pretty well after his nearly three decades on the scene.
- Alex ThielIt was a Saturday afternoon in March 2016, and Alex Thiel was bored. During that time, the Jackson-native musician's longtime progressive-metal trio, Carlos Danger, was going through a slow breakup, and he wanted to work on a project that would ...
- Making of a GemKrystal Jackson, a 21-year-old senior music major at Millsaps College, says she learned to sing before she could talk.