From the Wire
- Canada-US Reach Deal to Stay in Trade Pact With MexicoCanada is back in a revamped North American free trade deal with the United States and Mexico after weeks of bitter, high-pressure negotiations that brushed up against a midnight deadline.
- For Critics of DeVos, Sale of DeVry Chain Raises Red FlagsA little-known venture capitalist is on the verge of acquiring one of the biggest for-profit colleges in the country, a transaction that would put him in control of a troubled national chain that's more than 60 times the size of ...
- The Latest: Feinstein Says Kavanaugh Big 'Test' for NationSen. Dianne Feinstein (FYN'-styn) says the Supreme Court nomination of Brett Kavanaugh is "a real test" for the Senate and the nation "to see how we treat women, especially women who are survivors of sexual assault."
- The Latest: Christine Blasey Ford's Testimony Before the Senate Judiciary CommitteeChristine Blasey Ford says she is "100 percent" certain that Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her when they were high-school teenagers.
- Mississippi Enacts No New Gun Laws in 2018Mississippi has enacted no new state laws this year to either regulate gun ownership or expand where firearms may be carried.
- Ole Miss Considers Removal of Donor's Name After FlapThe University of Mississippi is trying to speed up the process of considering whether to remove a donor's name from its journalism school after his Facebook post that drew backlash as being racist
- The Latest: Cosby Gets Three to 10 years for 2004 Sexual AssaultBill Cosby has been sentenced to three to 10 years in state prison for drugging and molesting a woman at his suburban Philadelphia home.
- Mississippi Cooperatives to Buy Power from Delta Solar FarmA British company says it will build a solar farm in the Mississippi Delta with plans to sell electricity to Mississippi cooperatives.
- New Accusation Rocks Kavanaugh Nomination; Trump Stands FirmPresident Donald Trump staunchly defended his embattled Supreme Court nominee against a new allegation of sexual misconduct Monday, calling the accusations against Judge Brett Kavanaugh "totally political."
- Mississippi Casino Revenue Rises as Sports Betting BeginsOverall casino revenue rose sharply in Mississippi in August with the start of sports betting in the state. State revenue department figures released Thursday show gamblers lost $181 million statewide in August, up 8 percent from $168 million in August ...
- Chris McDaniel: Allegations Against Kavanaugh 'Made Up'A Republican U.S. Senate candidate in Mississippi says a sexual misconduct allegation against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh is a "made-up" scandal as the left tries to derail the nomination of a conservative.
- US Again Slashing Number of Refugees It Will AcceptFor a second straight year the U.S. will slash the number of refugees it will accept, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said, insisting amid criticism from human rights groups that the country is still committed to providing sanctuary to people ...
- Nora MillerTrustees on Friday named a new president of the Mississippi University for Women without conducting a full search, elevating acting president Nora Miller after a day of listening sessions on the Columbus campus.
- Trade War Escalates as China Announces Tariffs on US ImportsThe U.S.-China trade war escalated further Tuesday, with China announcing retaliatory tax increases on $60 billion worth of U.S. imports, including coffee, honey and industrial chemicals.
- Mississippi Agency Says It Won’t Buy from Nike Over AdsMississippi's public safety commissioner disclosed Saturday that state police will no longer buy Nike products, saying the athletic apparel maker is unpatriotic and fails to support those in uniform.