From the Wire
- Mueller Offers Trump Team New Proposal for InterviewIn negotiations over a possible interview by prosecutors, special counsel Robert Mueller's team has offered the White House format changes, perhaps willing to limit some questions asked of President Donald Trump or accept some answers in writing, according to a ...
- US Appeals Court: Trump 'Sanctuary Cities' Order is IllegalPresident Donald Trump's executive order threatening to withhold funding from "sanctuary cities" that limit cooperation with immigration authorities is unconstitutional, but a judge went too far when he blocked its enforcement nationwide, a U.S. appeals court ruled Wednesday.
- Trump Calls on Sessions to End Mueller's Russia ProbePresident Donald Trump called Wednesday for his attorney general, Jeff Sessions, to end special counsel Robert Mueller's probe of Russia's election intervention, a day after Trump's former campaign chairman went on trial.
- Amid Dispute, Health System Will Accept Insurance CoverageMississippi's largest hospital system says it will continue accepting policies from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi patients, despite the lack of agreement on a new contract.
- Britton: High-Speed Internet Service Should be StatewideMississippi Public Service Commissioner Sam Britton is calling for high-speed internet to reach residents in all parts of the state.
- Slashed Funding Ends Southern Miss Health Care Help ProgramA University of Southern Mississippi program that helped residents navigate the federal health insurance marketplace will end because of budget cuts.
- Pro-School Bond Ruling Appealed to Mississippi Supreme CourtOpponents of a Mississippi school district's effort to secure bonds to build a new high school have appealed to the state Supreme Court.
- Promoting Voter ID, Trump says ID Needed to Buy GroceriesPresident Donald Trump wrongly claimed that shoppers need to show photo identification to buy groceries and accused Democrats of obstructing his agenda and his Supreme Court nominee during a raucous rally aimed at bolstering two Florida Republicans ahead of the ...
- Trump Administration Considering Tax Break on Capital GainsThe Trump administration is studying the idea of implementing a big tax break for wealthy Americans by reducing the taxes levied on capital gains, but no decision has been made yet on whether to proceed.
- Immigration Officials Defend Handling of Family SeparationsTop federal immigration officials went before Congress Tuesday to defend their handling of President Donald Trump's now-abandoned policy of separating migrant children from their families, saying they keep records of children in their custody.
- Drive to Get Mississippi Medical Marijuana on 2020 BallotThe woman whose daughter's name is on Mississippi's marijuana oil law has begun a drive for a state constitutional amendment allowing medical marijuana use.
- Two Compete for Mississippi House Seat Formerly Held by GipsonTwo Republicans are competing in a runoff election for a seat in the Mississippi House.
- Trump Threatens Government Shutdown Over Border SecurityRepublicans anxious about keeping control of Congress think it's a bad idea, but President Donald Trump still says he's willing to close the government over border security issues, including money he wants to build a promised U.S.-Mexico border wall.
- Rep. John LewisU.S. Rep. John Lewis, the 78-year-old civil rights icon and veteran congressman from Georgia, was released from the hospital Sunday evening after his weekend admission for an undisclosed reason.
- Caesars Launching Sports Betting in New Jersey, MississippiTwo Atlantic City casinos owned by Caesars Entertainment will start taking sports bets this week, and another two in Mississippi will do so in mid-August.