From the Wire
- US Rate for Gun Deaths is Up for the Second Straight YearThe U.S. rate for gun deaths has increased for the second straight year, following 15 years of no real change, a government report shows.
- Due in Court, Manafort Attacks Russia Probe IndictmentAccused of multiple financial crimes, President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman on Thursday attacked the strength of the evidence against him, saying the case brought by special counsel Robert Mueller is "embellished."
- Russia Hackers Had Targets Worldwide, Beyond US ElectionThe hackers who disrupted the U.S. presidential election had ambitions well beyond Hillary Clinton's campaign, targeting the emails of Ukrainian officers, Russian opposition figures, U.S. defense contractors and thousands of others of interest to the Kremlin, according to a previously ...
- Trump Calls for Death Penalty for NYC Truck Attack SuspectPresident Donald Trump on Thursday backed away from his threat to send the suspect in the New York bike path attack to Guantanamo Bay, acknowledging in an early morning tweet that the military judicial process at the Cuban detention center ...
- Mississippi Moves to Tax Internet Sales, After Long DelayMississippi's tax collector will require large online sellers to collect taxes on internet sales, more than 10 months after first proposing the rule.
- Hollywood Sex Accusations Now Levied at Ratner, HoffmanHollywood's widening sexual harassment crisis has ensnared a prominent film director after six women—including actress Olivia Munn—accused Brett Ratner of sexual assault or misconduct in a Los Angeles Times report on Wednesday.
- Trump Pressing for Tougher Immigration Based on 'Merit'Vowing to "stop this craziness," President Donald Trump on Wednesday urged tougher immigration measures based on "merit" after the deadly truck attack in New York City.
- Ex-Mayor 'Whoops Tail' of Accused Burglar with PaddleThe former mayor of Mississippi's largest city subdued and paddled a man who police say was burglarizing his vehicle.
- Eight Killed by New York Motorist in 'Cowardly Act of Terror'A man in a rented pickup truck mowed down pedestrians and bicyclists along a busy bike path near the World Trade Center memorial Tuesday, killing at least eight and injuring 11 others in what the mayor called "a particularly cowardly ...
- Another of Mississippi's Dry Counties Could Legalize AlcoholAnother of Mississippi's dwindling band of entirely dry counties could go wet. Clarke County, which has long prohibited the sale of alcohol, could legalize it in November.
- Lawmakers to Trump: Leave Mueller AloneDemocrats—and a few Republicans—in Congress have a clear message for President Donald Trump: Don't mess with Robert Mueller.
- Trump Blasts Former Aide at Center of Russia Probe as 'Liar'President Donald Trump said Tuesday that a former campaign aide thrust into the center of special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia probe "has already proven to be a liar."
- US Court Bars Trump from Reversing Transgender Troops PolicyA federal judge in Washington on Monday barred President Donald Trump's administration from excluding transgender people from military service.
- Confederate Emblem Causes Unequal Treatment, Attorneys ArgueAttorneys say in written arguments to the U.S. Supreme Court that the Confederate battle emblem on the Mississippi flag is "an official endorsement of white supremacy" and lower courts were wrong to block a lawsuit challenging the flag.
- Ryan ArmourRyan Armour's final round at the Sanderson Farms Championship was downright boring, which was exactly the plan.